Tuesday, June 24, 2008

flicking locks

This is how I flick locks. It works for me at this point in my fiber journey.

I got this Alpaca fleece off of Ebay. I got a really good price for about 4 pounds I think. I have had it for about a year now. When I first got it, I opened the box and smelled cigarettes. Phew!

So I grabbed a large handful and washed it. I don't remember what soap I used but I used soap and hot water. It took about 3 days to dry completely indoors.

This is one half of a pair of 120 count hand carders for Howard Hand Cards. I got them here on Ebay. Good prices and fast ship!










Setup. I usually work in front of my computer as I really don't have space anywhere else. I do put up my keyboard and such so fiber doesn't get them.

Pile of fiber. When I washed this bunch, I didn't know about trying to save the lock formation, but it worked out this time.









Waste bag. Will be used for stuffing down the road.










A lock. The tip is on the right and is lighter and you can see some second cuts on the cut end.










I press the tips lightly against the carder and pull towards me. Then I turn it over so I can get the other side of the tips.



















Flip lock over and do the same for the cut end. See the second cuts?










Repeat above steps until nice and open.










Basket with flicked locks.













I hope that you enjoyed this!

3 comments:

Nic said...

Good for you. In theory I've always wanted to do it, but I don't think I have the patience for it. I admire you for having though!

SissySees said...

Love the color. After doing some carding of my own, I *KNOW* I lack the patience. I'll be buying my fiber in the prepared version!

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting! I was wondering how it was done and now you've shown the world. Thanks!